On October 10th, 1999, the Railroad Museum took possession of a narrow gauge 0-4-0T type steam locomotive, built by H.K. Porter.

The No. 1 was built by the H.K. Porter Locomotive works in 1921 for the Defiance Coal Company in Mentmore, New Mexico. A 40″ gauge railroad was operated between their two mines and the coal tipple at Mentmore, a distance of about 1 3/4 miles by rail.  Coal was loaded in small jennies, called “pit cars” from the mine entrance to the coal tipple.  The coal company closed in 1952, with the last run by rail taking place on March 28th of that year.

After the mine ceased operations, the locomotive was purchased by Dr. Stanley Groman who had it shipped in January 1953 to Sandy Pond in Sandy Creek Township in upstate New York.  This site became one of the first operating rail Museums in the country.

Known as “Rail City,” the operation continued until its closure on October 13, 1974.  Due to its 40 inch gauge, the locomotive was exhibited as a static display.

After “Rail City” closed, the engine sat idle until Mr. John Degan of Southampton, NY came upon the engine and purchased it from Dr. Groman’s estate in the Fall of 1982.  Degan began restoration of the locomotive to operating condition, changed the saddle water tank to two side water tanks and placing it on a flatbed trailer equipped with rollers.  In this manner, the locomotive could be transported over the road to different events and parades across Long Island.  It could then be fired up and the drivers could turn around on the trailer.  Mr. Degan named the locomotive the “Roy Dunwell” in recognition of the tremendous amount of welding and steel fabrication performed by Mr. Dunwell during its restoration on Long Island.  When not on display, the engine was stored in Southampton.

Completing several months of negotiations, the No. 1 was donated to RMLI during Columbus Day weekend 1999.  In addition to the locomotive, RMLI also received two of the “pit cars” that the engine originally hauled in New Mexico.  Restoration of the pit cars was completed in 2017 and they are exhibited on a prototype “coal tipple” at Riverhead.

The locomotive underwent a FRA Form 4 overhaul at the Strasburg Rail Road Company shops and returned to Riverhead in April 2019.  It is exhibited on its trailer and operates at local festivals and on the Museum property as an educational ambassador to the “Steam Up LIRR #39” restoration effort.